Always a Voice for Students

Imua ʻIolani

Always a Voice for Students

Imua ʻIolani

Always a Voice for Students

Imua ʻIolani

Open House: A Night to Prepare

Mrs. Devon DeBevoise gives a PowerPoint presentation for parents to get to know her and the students’ activities in Science 8. // Photo by Alessia Park ’28

The classroom’s door clicks open, followed by dozens of parents. They are greeted with a “Welcome Parents” sign plastered on the screen as they bustle to enter the room. The bell rings, signaling the start of the class. As parents finish their small talk and find a place to sit, they focus their eyes to the front of the classroom. The teacher takes their stand, staring back at the intimidating crowd and taking a deep breath before they begin. This is what a teacher does every year as they brace themselves for one of the most important nights out of the whole school year: open house.

Many teachers say that they always feel some sort of anxiousness when it comes to open house. “Open house does make me nervous,” Mrs. Lisa Cockett, an eighth grade honors math teacher, stated. “I even have to do some breathing techniques because I get nervous speaking with parents.” In relation, Ms. Yuki Basso, a seventh and eighth grade English teacher, mentioned that “It feels kind of intimidating to stand up in front of parents, especially because I’m so used to hanging out with 13 and 14 year olds.” In terms of how teachers present themselves, Mrs. Devon DeBevoise, a seventh and eighth grade science teacher claims, “I want to make sure that I put my best foot forward for their parents to see who I am and what I’m teaching their kids.” 

While teachers may have anxieties that arise from open house, they also find gratitude and joy within the event. Teachers view open houses as an opportunity to interact with the parents and get to know them. Mrs. DeBevoise said, “I honestly enjoy meeting the parents and having the opportunity to introduce myself.” To teachers, open house is the only time of the year where they communicate directly with parents about the activities and work that is done in class. “I think it’s important for parents to understand the expectations of the course that their child is in.” Mrs. Cockett said. 

When asked about what special things they want to add to open house, considering that most of the night is devoted to syllabi, teachers mentioned that games and icebreakers are nice. Mrs. Cockett shared that she gives the parents a math activity like a brain teaser, and she has been receiving positive feedback from it so far. “It [the feedback] was the first time I ever actually got an email back from a parent not only thanking me for the presentation, but for the activity that they did in class. They found it so engaging they even went home and kept working on it.” Throughout Mrs. Cockett’s years of teaching, this year’s middle school open house was the first time she received an email of appreciation from a parent, and it is a moment she cherishes in her heart. 

Overall, teachers want the parents to understand that open house is a time where parents have an opportunity to understand what their children will be learning and how to encourage them throughout their courses. Not only that, but teachers want to express their personalities to the parents so they place their children comfortably in the care of the teachers.