Always a Voice for Students

Imua ʻIolani

Always a Voice for Students

Imua ʻIolani

Always a Voice for Students

Imua ʻIolani

Making Musical Memories: ‘Iolani’s Variety Show

Mr. Michael Park marching and singing to “‘Iolani No Ka Oi”.

A biennial tradition, the Faculty Follies, and the very exciting annual Variety Show brought chatter and cheer to every student. These events show off our talented and energetic teachers, students, and staff. ‘Iolani’s Variety Show included singing, videos, music, dancing and much more. All of these acts were performed by brave students and teachers with incredible talents. Many students appreciated the Variety Show as it is very exciting to see their friends and peers perform their amazing and unique abilities.

The Variety Show included many different acts, the majority of which were performed by students. For some students, it’s just a fun time with friends. Ella Kimura ’24 and her friends performed K-pop dancing at the Variety Show. Ella said, “It’s kind of just for fun… for most of us, it’s just a fun thing to do.” It is amazing how the people who worked behind the scenes help a lot too. With all the bands and dancing groups, it can be hard to coordinate many people. In addition to the challenges of the show’s preparation, all of the acts only have one practice together, which takes place one day before the show. Even with all these challenges, the backstage crew managed to make all of the acts seamlessly flow together into one beautiful show. There is a lot of thought and hard work put into the ‘Iolani Variety Show for everyone to enjoy, which makes it that much more special. 

Similar to the Variety Show, the Faculty Follies is an event where the faculty get to unwind and enjoy. Every other year,  Ms. Kimi Frith ’92 and Mr. Mike Among created a dance video of how the teachers “unwind” after a long week was featured at the show. This year specifically, the team decided to base the video upon a tribute to the old Student Center, in which the alumni faculty were attending their final school dance. Mrs. Kimi Frith ’92, one of the organizers, explains, “The Student Center always held all the school dances. So, we thought let’s talk to the faculty and staff here who went to the school and had dances in the student center.” To this day, school dances have always been held in the student center. Faculty alumni were asked to bring back some nostalgic memories, as they dance for one last time.

Through the sweat and hard work of the performers, the 2024 Variety show was truly memorable. From K-pop dancers to the Faculty Follies and to singing and dancing, there was something for everyone at ‘Iolani’s Variety Show. The Faculty acts got the whole school laughing and clapping, as students enjoyed seeing their teachers participating in some acts.